• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 elbrujo69

elbrujo69

Deep Sea Creature

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:57 AM

hi, anybody knows about the meaning of the simbology in the artwork of Mastodon?

Thx

#2 tharsh eats balls

tharsh eats balls

No. 1 Fatass

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Interests:growing fat and facial hair
  • Original registration date:2005

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:14 AM

"Symbology"? Well, now that Duffy's relinquished his King Bonehead crown, I see we have a new heir to the throne. The word I believe you're looking for is "symbolism".

#3 elbrujo69

elbrujo69

Deep Sea Creature

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:00 AM

:)

drawing class like this

Posted Image

#4 tharsh eats balls

tharsh eats balls

No. 1 Fatass

• Administrators
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:04 AM

Well I'm no art scholar, but to me that looks like a one-horned neanderthal with a very erect "member".
Or I suppose it could be a soldier in a trench in Versailles in WWI holding a bayonet.
I wonder why they would do that instead of just a Mastodon ????

#5 elbrujo69

elbrujo69

Deep Sea Creature

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:10 AM

pffffffff

#6 Mastodon101

Mastodon101

Deep Sea Creature

• Administrators
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:26 AM

Me and Theart once had a conversation about tattoos and i said that if i was too ever get one i would get the leviathan logo cause then people would think its a wave and unless your a mastodon fan you wouldnt know what it stood for, too which he said something along the lines of "I always saw it as a shell"
So to say that there in some symbolic references(in which you are right, there are some) everyone sees it in a different light

#7 KABIR LOVERO

KABIR LOVERO

Nothing.

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:34 PM

I see a heart in that drawing. @_@

#8 TheStuntman

TheStuntman

Moby Dick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:07 PM

"Symbology"? Well, now that Duffy's relinquished his King Bonehead crown, I see we have a new heir to the throne. The word I believe you're looking for is "symbolism".

Exactly what I was thinking about posting. Haha.

#9 streetshaman

streetshaman

Birchman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:13 AM

not to be a dick but....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbology

Symbology is similar to symbolism except that symbology applies the anthropological angle to the study of symbols. Symbolism is more of how an image or icon relates to a concept while symbology is more of "why this image" and its psychological ramifications on people and cultures.

#10 tharsh eats balls

tharsh eats balls

No. 1 Fatass

• Administrators
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:44 AM

haha, teaches me to quote movies without doing any research!

#11 streetshaman

streetshaman

Birchman

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:30 AM

Its a common mistake, but one that jibes me as I studied a little bit of symbology and iconography in my college days. I am always saying "symbology is actually a valid study and proper word...(friends start yawning around this time).

As for the album art, were you wondering about the images found in the paintings themselves El Brujo or the little icons that are found in gold filligree in the logos and interior album art?

I would think the gold icons are simply symbolic designs while the entire album art can be analyzed through symbology to help reinforce the stronger themes on the albums.

For example the giant wave on the right is a direct refrence to Hokusai's "The Great Wave off Kanagawa" which is said to be about the unrelenting might of nature crashing against an immovable mountain (Mt. Fuji literally and the will of men figuratively).

Compare that to the unbridled obsession of Ahab vs. the indefeatable Moby Dick. Or is it the whale the unstoppable force of nature and the will of Ahab the immovable mountain?

Sure that's all fine and dandy anybody can start mashing concepts together, but take into account that Hokusai and Melville were contemporaries and both men were renown for synthesizing their own cultures with foreign ones. Just as Mastodon and Romano synthesize modern art forms with archaic ones. Bluegrass with metal, prog with punk; gold filligree and rock band art, Klimt and Raphael.

I personally do not think the themes and concepts are coincidental. I could be completely wrong but I am willing to bet that the comparative myth and legend motif found in both the band and the band's choice of artist are deliberate if not down right genius.

I would love to outline the entire album art in my opinion of its symbolism/symbology and iconography, but I figure I have bored enough people already =P

#12 Im Not Ahab

Im Not Ahab

Czar

• Members
  • 2,181 posts
  • Original registration date:14 May 2008

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:30 AM

Its a common mistake, but one that jibes me as I studied a little bit of symbology and iconography in my college days. I am always saying "symbology is actually a valid study and proper word...(friends start yawning around this time).

As for the album art, were you wondering about the images found in the paintings themselves El Brujo or the little icons that are found in gold filligree in the logos and interior album art?

I would think the gold icons are simply symbolic designs while the entire album art can be analyzed through symbology to help reinforce the stronger themes on the albums.

For example the giant wave on the right is a direct refrence to Hokusai's "The Great Wave off Kanagawa" which is said to be about the unrelenting might of nature crashing against an immovable mountain (Mt. Fuji literally and the will of men figuratively).

Compare that to the unbridled obsession of Ahab vs. the indefeatable Moby Dick. Or is it the whale the unstoppable force of nature and the will of Ahab the immovable mountain?

Sure that's all fine and dandy anybody can start mashing concepts together, but take into account that Hokusai and Melville were contemporaries and both men were renown for synthesizing their own cultures with foreign ones. Just as Mastodon and Romano synthesize modern art forms with archaic ones. Bluegrass with metal, prog with punk; gold filligree and rock band art, Klimt and Raphael.

I personally do not think the themes and concepts are coincidental. I could be completely wrong but I am willing to bet that the comparative myth and legend motif found in both the band and the band's choice of artist are deliberate if not down right genius.

I would love to outline the entire album art in my opinion of its symbolism/symbology and iconography, but I figure I have bored enough people already =P

Boring? No. quite informative and enlightening. That dousche from the Da Vinci code has nothing on you dude. lol

PS I am alwats astounded at the high intellect of people on this board, its truely fucking awesome.

#13 KABIR LOVERO

KABIR LOVERO

Nothing.

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:43 AM

Boring? No. quite informative and enlightening. That dousche from the Da Vinci code has nothing on you dude. lol

PS I am alwats astounded at the high intellect of people on this board, its truely fucking awesome.

i agree

#14 zombies & sunshine

zombies & sunshine

Doooooooooooom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:22 AM

definitely not boring, i'd love to read a full essay/thesis on this topic from you.

#15 tharsh eats balls

tharsh eats balls

No. 1 Fatass

• Administrators
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:12 AM

Streetshaman is the best poster on this board. Hands down.

So Streetshaman, you should definitely post your outline(s)!

#16 Rattrameggeagoth

Rattrameggeagoth

Czar

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

i agree

Me too

#17 streetshaman

streetshaman

Birchman

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:35 PM

I am definately not the best poster, nor do I hold a candle to Robert Langdon the fictional symbologist.

If I were left to save the vatican or the holy grail by deciphering imagery we would all be nuked by the anti-matter bomb (Angels and Demons).

However I do not have a permed mullet so I guess I do have a leg up on old Dr. Langdon =)

#18 stueethedalek

stueethedalek

Megalodon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:51 PM

Me and Theart once had a conversation about tattoos and i said that if i was too ever get one i would get the leviathan logo cause then people would think its a wave and unless your a mastodon fan you wouldnt know what it stood for, too which he said something along the lines of "I always saw it as a shell"
So to say that there in some symbolic references(in which you are right, there are some) everyone sees it in a different light

I love my Leviathan tattoo. I see a wave but I also see a whales tail, kind of.

#19 KABIR LOVERO

KABIR LOVERO

Nothing.

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:27 AM

How old are you guys?

#20 Mastodon101

Mastodon101

Deep Sea Creature

• Administrators