289 replies to this topic

#161 PdX

PdX

Fire Ant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:15 PM

Kerzain, was it just me or was Dethklok having issues at first? The guitars were to quiet at first and the vocals were inaudible. It got better after a song or two but you could see them keep looking to the side of the stage and telling them to "turn it up".

All in all, Mastodon rocked it the best. Every song was moshed to, I have even more respect for CtS and love it twice as much after hearing it live. It sounded a lot better than the videos that I have seen on line. The crowd seemed to know EVERY song they played. People went NUTS with Behemoth and Mother Puncher. The only request I could have is if they would have added iron tusk or blood and thunder to it (but I know those are songs they always play). If any of you had doubts about going, GO. It will be well worth your time. Mastodon was pretty much SPOT on.

#162 HASHTHRASH

HASHTHRASH

Czar

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts
  • Interests:Bongs, beats, & breasts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for the reviews and HoF's setlist. I'm kinda pissed they only get 30 mins whereas Converge gets 45. Good to see they played something off Art of Self Defense other than Baghdad. Its also great to hear they're hanging out at the merch booth after their set, I know what I'll be doing as Converge is playing! How did the new song sound?

Yeah, I love Converge and High On Fire, but I'd rather hear 30 minutes of Converge and 45 of High On Fire too. High On Fire's songs are way longer and it's a bummer only getting to see them play 5 or 6 songs when there are so many I want to hear. Converge is the bigger band though.

#163 Shortyz

Shortyz

Champion Fist Pumpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:41 PM

Almost lost your shoe in the Pit? If so I def saw that shit happen and it was funny. We were prolly roughing each other up and didn't even know it.

btw, I can't remember entirely but HoF opened with Turk and closed with Fury Whip. Their new stuff was awesome but I have no names of that and am really fucked in the head and can't remember much else.

Yeah, during Circle of Cyasquatch people started going nuts and my shoe fell of so i had to scramble to get it before it was gone. It was so fun though!

hof played
turk
cometh down hessian
new song
blood from zion
rumors of war
fury whip

Is that new song the one about the drummers son? Frostsaber? I don't know, it was something with Frost in it.

#164 KABIR LOVERO

KABIR LOVERO

Nothing.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:52 PM

Yeah, I love Converge and High On Fire, but I'd rather hear 30 minutes of Converge and 45 of High On Fire too. High On Fire's songs are way longer and it's a bummer only getting to see them play 5 or 6 songs when there are so many I want to hear. Converge is the bigger band though.

I love both bands also, but I am kind of glad that converge is playing more 45 minutes, ( I wish it was more than that , but oh well) from what I hear they kick ass on stage, and their songs are the perfect kind of songs I want to hear at a concert.

HoF set looks great. What's converge's?

#165 Tw1ster

Tw1ster

Megalodon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Music, Hockey, Video Games

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:24 PM

Kind of glad Mastodon isnt playing last. As soon as their set ends I have to make a mad dash to catch the last ferry of the night to get home. Tomorrow is the big day!

#166 TonyD

TonyD

Fire Ant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:48 PM

Glad I didn't drive to Portland for 80 minutes of Dong and 30 minutes of High on Fire.
This is kind of a slap in the face to me.

#167 Dooblers Mom

Dooblers Mom

Mastodong

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:24 PM

Glad I didn't drive to Portland for 80 minutes of Dong and 30 minutes of High on Fire.
This is kind of a slap in the face to me.

You are quickly passing Kabir and shortyz as dumbest poster here.

#168 Pendulous Cock

Pendulous Cock

Megalodon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:34 PM

woot i'm fuckin excited for tonight!!

#169 Pendulous Cock

Pendulous Cock

Megalodon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:33 AM

great fucking show, HOF was fucking awesome and there were some nice pits during their set. Converge was weird but Mastodon flawless like usual, it was really great to hear Behemoth/Mother Puncher for the first time. I only stayed for a few Dethklok songs, they were surprisingly good but i had to bail to catch a ride. all in all good show

#170 m477

m477

Seabeast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:12 PM

what kind of goodies are in the merch dept. this time around? any limited tour only items, etc?

#171 Ol'e Nessie

Ol'e Nessie

Workhorse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:04 PM

My review for oct 2nd's show at the Roseland in Portland, OR:

HoF started early.. Right at 6:30. By the time I actually got up to the stage after standing in line and getting checked at security they were already playing their first song (Turk). But they were fucking awesome. For me they totally stole the whole show in their half hour of performing. I got to talk a little bit with Matt Pike afterwords when he was hanging out at the merch stand.
Converge, which I expected I would hate, was great as well. Even if you don't like Converge you should see them anyway because they kick ass live.
Mastodon was awesome as I expected.. All anyone here is going to talk about is mastodon anyway so I'm not going into detail.. I did enjoy that their setlist outside of crack the skye focused on their heavier material. The Bit was fucking great, I definitely wasn't expecting that.
When Dethklok started you could tell that 90% of the crowd was there for them. The audience really became alive when they played. I thought they sucked ass and wish I didn't have to sit through their set, but I had to wait for a ride.

So.. in short. Get there early for HoF. Stay around for Mastodon to play The Bit. Go to HoF's merch stand and buy a T-shirt and talk to Matt Pike, then leave.

#172 bakers man

bakers man

Moby Dick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:50 PM

i still cant imagine Dethklok having a fan base. How can that many people like them over Mastodon?

#173 Tw1ster

Tw1ster

Megalodon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:21 PM

Seeing them tonight! Kinda sad I have to mis Dethklok but I have to catch a ferry.

#174 Ol'e Nessie

Ol'e Nessie

Workhorse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:37 PM

A word of warning to people who think it would be smart to skip out on Dethklok before giving their show a chance, you'd be a fool to take Ol'e Nessie's advice and skip out early just for the sake of doing so. It's an entertaining show. If you can enjoy this Mastodon song you can enjoy their set too.

Yeah, you're right.
I didn't like them, and I would have left after 1 or 2 songs if I didn't have to wait for a ride home.
But yeah, at least stick around for a song or two before you decide anything...
The interludes were funny at least.

#175 PdX

PdX

Fire Ant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:33 PM

My review for oct 2nd's show at the Roseland in Portland, OR:

HoF started early.. Right at 6:30. By the time I actually got up to the stage after standing in line and getting checked at security they were already playing their first song (Turk). But they were fucking awesome. For me they totally stole the whole show in their half hour of performing. I got to talk a little bit with Matt Pike afterwords when he was hanging out at the merch stand.
Converge, which I expected I would hate, was great as well. Even if you don't like Converge you should see them anyway because they kick ass live.
Mastodon was awesome as I expected.. All anyone here is going to talk about is mastodon anyway so I'm not going into detail.. I did enjoy that their setlist outside of crack the skye focused on their heavier material. The Bit was fucking great, I definitely wasn't expecting that.
When Dethklok started you could tell that 90% of the crowd was there for them. The audience really became alive when they played. I thought they sucked ass and wish I didn't have to sit through their set, but I had to wait for a ride.

So.. in short. Get there early for HoF. Stay around for Mastodon to play The Bit. Go to HoF's merch stand and buy a T-shirt and talk to Matt Pike, then leave.

I felt that Mastodon had more energy in the crowd than Dethklok did. I was in the pit for Mastodon and in the back for Dethklok though. It was surprising seeing the type of people that showed up for just Dethklok. Hearing people talking about the band and shit like they were real... I enjoy the music and the comedy in it, but I am in no way a "fan" like I am with Mastodon. Its kind of like Gwar, you go see the show once and then your done. Never have to do that again. They are funny, great guitar and such, but its just no "real" music if you know what I mean. I can't take anything "dethklok" seriously.

#176 reznier

reznier

Workhorse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:you.

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:34 AM

holy shit at first i was really bummed they werent playing the wolf is loose, crystal skull, or cap. crest, but the replacements of circle of cysquatch mother puncher and BEHEMOTH fill that void left in my heart, gonna be hitting up Denver by 10am to get a spot in line for the Brann Dailor signing :D, show off my Mastodon tattoo and grab a pic :), cant fucking wait... should be orgasmic

#177 Shortyz

Shortyz

Champion Fist Pumpin

• Members
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:57 AM

Brent has a new guitar this tour also. Its a see through flying V.
Posted Image
Sorry its such a shitty picture. I had to use my phone since i forgot my camera at home. Yeah it looks like his other see through guitar but in the flying v shape. it also has a chrome neck board which i though was kinda cool looking.

#178 Tw1ster

Tw1ster

Megalodon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:37 AM

Pretty much Mastodon played the best show I've seen by any band. I can't stomach Converge and High on Fire was amazing. Amazing time tonight

#179 jroy99

jroy99

Deep Sea Creature

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:44 AM

Unbelievable show by Mastodon in Calgary. The setlist was pretty much the same as everyone has been posting.

#180 m477

m477

Seabeast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:26 AM

what kind of goodies are in the merch dept. this time around? any limited tour only items, etc?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users