27 replies to this topic

#1 TonyD

TonyD

Fire Ant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:23 AM

So "Why I'm never seeing Mastodon again" popped up just about 2 weeks ago, obviously Brann noticed. Tonight, Mastodon played and sounded as good or better than I've ever seen, due mostly to Brent playing like a mad man and singing fairly well, which is all anyone can ask for. As usual Bill, Brann and Troy were tight as carbonite, and I have a feeling that thread was a wake up call.

Brent had a little issue during The Last Baron but worked through it fine. The break after CTS took unusually long, or so it felt like it, but after ripping through Crusher and Crystal Skull, Brent walked off for no apparent reason and left the rest of the band on stage to play B&T, which they did great for what they had (props to Bill for winging it).

I wasn't on stage so I don't know if there were "technical difficulties" or what, but as far as I can tell there was nothing to stop Brent from finishing the show. We got dicked out of 5 or more songs including Nessie, which was a major bummer. Maybe there's something going on that I don't know about it, but as far as I know this is something straight out of Axl Rose's ass.

#2 Whimpers

Whimpers

Nessie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

was this due to time constraints because of the extra bands on this bill? I mean that sounds kind of shitty getting 5 less songs if it wasn't a planned thing. at least they played well on the songs they did play.

#3 Onioner

Onioner

Deep Sea Creature

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

I just got back, and I am a more than a little mad at Brent. Dude acted absolutely unprofessional in regards to the tech problems tonight. Yes sound problems happen, but smashing a mike stand and causing an overly long intermission and cutting a show short isn't the way you handle it (and drinking a few beers before the show doesn't help anyone). And actually, Brent DID in fact join in on Blood and Thunder half-way through the song, but he played it off on the side of the stage. I was on the front row, so I know this for a fact, and you could hear the harmonies during the bridge that wouldn't been possible with only one ax. Dude was off to the side with his girlfriend/wife playing without looking at the band or us, just paying attention to her. Is it so bad to see the audience you're playing for, man? The people who paid good money to see you play guitar? I agree that I'm miffed at having songs cut out, I was looking forward to Capillarian Crest, Ole Nessie, Iron Tusk and March of the Fire Ants so much. The long intermission and ending the show ten minutes before curfew definitely tells us that something was up in regards to the shortened show. Brann, can you please come in and explain what happened? I don't want to have some kind of misdirected anger here if Brent was genuinely justified in his behavior, and if there really was a good reason for ending the show soon, I and the other attendees of this show would like to know it. As for Bill, Brann and Troy, you three were absolute class acts. Keeping The Last Baron going despite the sound issues and Bill's one man Blood and Thunder army showed me what absolute professional musicians you three are. Brent if you read this, if you just had some bad luck with the sound coupled with an off night then whatever, we're all only human, but if it was something really within your control, then please don't let this happen again. You're an amazing guitar player, and a one of a kind vocalist, and what the fans and I want to see the band is not only giving us a satisfactory concert, but giving it their all in terms of effort. All we want is recognition that we're worth that much to you man.

#4 radu123

radu123

manflesh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:18 PM

so for census purposes, are you 'done with seeing mastodon live...'?

#5 clavian

clavian

Nessie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:What-have-you

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:17 PM

This is all too bad, really. I hope they can get this shit resolved, because it sounds like Brent is being a pain in the ass, and it'll take its toll on the band eventually.

I'm seeing them in Billings on Thursday, so I hope they have a solid show.

#6 TonyD

TonyD

Fire Ant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:18 PM

It ended at 11:15 on a Saturday in downtown Oakland, definitely not a curfew issue.
Done with seeing Mastodon live? If this continues, yes. I'm definitely going to see Alice In Chains though.

#7 Trouser Minnow

Trouser Minnow

Yahoo! Serious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  • Interests:Big Hearts
  • Original registration date:08 September 2006

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

Nice sig tony.
Well I think they have got a new soundman very recentlly. Unfortunate but mabey the new blood is still too fresh?

#8 d3vil0ck

d3vil0ck

Workhorse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

damn, i have been diligently defending the band's live shows lately but this same exact scenario happened at a show i went to, and i think this is the third time i've heard about it happening on this tour. that's getting a little excessive, and i know when i pay my very hard earned money to see these bands we should be getting the entire show.

#9 Onioner

Onioner

Deep Sea Creature

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

For me personally, until I hear something about how this and the other incidents were caused by issues unrelated to Brent, I refuse to see Mastodon with Brent again, regardless of his significance within the band. When I saw Mastodon with Dethklok last November, everyone was spot on, and they were far better than when I saw them last night, even if they did play Blood and Thunder this time around. And TonyD, the curfew wasn't as wide open as you think, I checked with security before Bison went on, and they said the Fox's curfew was 11:30. Yes, they had only 15 minutes to do more, but that's three songs at least right there and they ate up another 15 minutes with that intermission earlier in the night.

#10 TonyD

TonyD

Fire Ant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:27 PM

Hm, that seems kinda early. I really like shows there but I think it's worth noting that security was a bunch of dicks, they definitely weren't prepared or didn't know how to handle a metal show.

#11 HASHTHRASH

HASHTHRASH

Czar

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts
  • Interests:Bongs, beats, & breasts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:54 PM

I didn't witness security being dicks, but other than Baroness, I wasn't up front at all. Throughout the rest of the venue, the staff were firm in terms of tickets and passes and such, but were otherwise very friendly and helpful. The security in the smoking area declared that anyone can smoke whatever they wanted, just so long as everyone smoked closer to the more ventilated side. As soon as he yelled that, everyone moved over to that side and lit up bowls and joints.

I don't know what to say about the show. They were playing great up until The Last Baron, and things with Brent went south. I couldn't for the life of me tell what was wrong, the only indication was Brent's behavior. It was not cool, I just hope they manage to work through it.

#12 highsidednb

highsidednb

Deep Sea Creature

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:22 PM

Last night was my 10th time seeing Mastodon. First time I saw them was when they supported Slayer on the Jeaggermiester tour in 2004 at the Warfield, SF CA. Since then I've seen them in different parts of the country and I've seen them do incredible back-to-back sold-out shows at Slim's SF. I've seen them headline and support. Up until last night, they have been, for the most part, totally professional. They've shown a true appreciation of the fans and they've played their hearts out.

I hadn't seen them since when they first toured Crack the Skye at the Great American in SF. Clearly, the band has been through a lot since then. It was great to see Bill up on stage. I was really worried that he might still be dealing with his health issues but I saw him in the wings during Priestess' set and I was stoked. Hats off to Mr. Kelliher.

Last night was my least favorite Mastodon show. The main reasons?

-No audience interaction beyond Troy's efforts to save face at the end of the show.

- Brent Hinds' diva bullshit (in a quiet part of CtS, he made the snarky remark into the mic "I love heavy metal...No, I'm just joking" clearly a reference to a past interview)

- Brent Hinds' diva bullshit throwing down Troy's mic stand at the end of CtS.

- Brent Hinds' walking off during the second set and making the rest of the band awkwardly finish the show (but the three of them did a great job and proved they're the real pros)

-Cutting the show short even though there was plenty of time left.

On top of all that, the band seemed a little flat and out of gas. Sure, touring is hard, the current schedule is gnarly, and they've been having their share of problems. But no one has to tell them it's the nature of the beast, etc. Technical difficulties aren't an excuse either. That's what sound check is for and as Axel Rose demonstrated so eloquently in the live video of Knocking on Heaven's Door, you can always tell the asshole in the sound booth to turn the fucking monitors up.

I went home worried that Mastodon is imploding. The non-stop touring, Brent's attitude, Bill's health, and who knows what else are all adding up. Stop touring. Stop committing to the insane schedule. Either chill the fuck out for the sake of the band or just end it. Kicking anyone out of the band, as has been suggested on this forum, isn't going to work.

For the sake of the fans and for yourselves, don't let Mastodon die and ugly rock n roll cliche death. The fans deserve better, your roadies deserve better, you families deserve better, etc. but most importantly: The four guys many of us saw working their asses off years ago to get where they are today deserve better.

p.s. the folks running the venue all seemed professional and courteous. the other bands did a great job (Valient Thorr and Baroness killed it!) the crowd seemed into it and full of good energy.

#13 xWhalexCorex

xWhalexCorex

Gigan

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:51 PM

I hate to say this buuuuuuuut: Kick out Brent and get Matt Pike, Scott Kelley or one of the dudes from Bison BC.

#14 TonyD

TonyD

Fire Ant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:24 AM

During High on Fire a bunch of security guards came onto the floor and were just basically getting in the way, they tried to stop some people in the pit because they thought people were fighting or whatever, and they were getting in the way of others when people needed to be picked up like everybody there couldn't handle it themselves.

I hate to say this buuuuuuuut: Kick out Brent and get Matt Pike, Scott Kelley or one of the dudes from Bison BC.

Terrible idea. Somebody needs to make it clear that Brent needs to deal with problems and just get on with the show. If one of his 3 full stacks isn't dialed or shuts down, nobody cares. If that happens and he spends a song and a half trying to get it fixed, we all know what happens.

#15 radu123

radu123

manflesh

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:18 AM

Scott Kelley

goodbye guitar solos

also was brent's female friend hot?

#16 Newfie_Metal

Newfie_Metal

6" Meatball on Herb & Cheese

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:37 AM

- Brent Hinds' diva bullshit (in a quiet part of CtS, he made the snarky remark into the mic "I love heavy metal...No, I'm just joking" clearly a reference to a past interview)

Sounds more like a reference to some of the posts on here that were referring to that interview.

#17 TonyD

TonyD

Fire Ant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:13 AM

I was wondering what he said at the show. I'd like to note that in saying it he fucked up the rhythm of the song a little.

#18 Dooblers Mom

Dooblers Mom

Mastodong

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:12 AM

Now I remember why I used to think you were the worst poster here. Conratulations, you confirmed that again.

#19 xWhalexCorex

xWhalexCorex

Gigan

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:29 AM

Now I remember why I used to think you were the worst poster here. Conratulations, you confirmed that again.

I'm sorry but it seems that most of the problem here is stemming from Brent; I just threw out people that were close to the band/have collaborated with them before (sans Bison). At the end of the day I would much rather have Brent work through whatever is happening right now and get back to the way he used to play live but if this problem persists then I really don't see the point of having him drag the entire band down. Brent is one of the main reasons I even listen to Mastodon but this entire 'overreacting to technical issues' bit is getting a bit out of hand don'tcha think? I mean this minor shit used to happen at a lot of their previous shows and still the band played to the best of their ability. Now I'm aware that people change a lot after a closed head injuries like the one Brent had and it almost seems that he's acting like a completely different person. I wasn't making a serious proposition; just stating that Brent either needs to get his shit together. Honestly, I'd rather Mastodon call it quits than to have him replaced.

#20 Dooblers Mom

Dooblers Mom

Mastodong

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:53 AM

You're certainly entitled to you opinion, and it sucks that anyone feels cheated when they pay good money to see any band. I just gent annoyed with the replace _______ in any band. It's just not that easy. Bands are usually magical because of a certain chemistry when they form. Trying to fit a "new" guy in, always changes the dynamics and usually in a bad way.
I have no insider info, but I wonder if the technical problems are a result of trying to put on an areana show on a theatre budget?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users